Graduate admission frequently asked questions
What are the admission deadlines?
Please refer to the Application Admissions Deadlines.
What do I need to submit for my application to be considered complete?
A complete application consists of the application itself, statement of purpose, resume, contact details of three referees, transcripts, GRE score report as well as a TOEFL or IELTS score report.
- Statement of Purpose and Resume:You are required to both upload your statement of purpose as a PDF file and enter it directly into the online application as text. You should upload your resume file as a pdf file as well.
- Recommendation:Once you access the online application, you will be required to enter the names, titles, and email addresses of your three referees.Select people who know you well, for example a current/former professor, a supervisor at work, a community leader etc. If you are applying to the ECE program your referees will then receive a link to the online recommendation form. If you are applying to the MSIT program, the Admissions Committee will get in touch with your recommenders.
- Transcripts and GRE/TOEFL or IELTS Score Reports:Unofficial transcripts and score reports must be uploaded to the online application. This is what the Admissions Committee will use for review purposes.
I submitted my score reports. Have they been received?In order for your GRE & TOEFL/IELTS requirements to be marked as complete, a few things need to happen.
- You must enter your test/score information into the application. If you had previously entered a "pending" test into your application, you must log back in and enter the scores and test data.
- You must request the testing center(ETS/IELTS) to send CMU-Africa the official scores. It may take a few days for CMU to receive your scores and for us to compare it against the scores you entered in the application. However, the committee can begin to review your application with the scores you have self-reported. Please see below the codes to use to send your tests results to us.
- ETS (TOEFL & GRE): Carnegie Mellon University in Rwanda - DI Code: 8847
- IELTS : Organization ID : 146301, Name : Carnegie Mellon University Africa
- For MSECE applicants, please make sure you request the testing center (ETS/IELTS) to send it to CMU as well:
- ETS (TOEFL & GRE) : Carnegie Mellon University - DI Code : 2074
- IELTS: A physical address is required for electronic scores to be sent. Please use the one below
Carnegie Mellon University College of Engineering
5000 Forbes Avenue
119 Porter Hall
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
How can I check my application status?
Due to the large number of applications and volume of email received daily from CMU-Africa applicants, it may not be possible to respond to individual requests for information. Please review the checklist in your online application to ensure it is complete.
Where do I mail my transcript(s) after I am admitted?
Please wait to mail your transcript until you have been requested to do so. You will be provided with CMU-Africa’s address by our Admissions and Enrollment Services Coordinator.
Will CMU-Africa pay for my GRE and TOEFL/IELTS tests?
If you submit your application before the November 15th - early admission deadline - and are successful in reaching the test stage of the admission process, CMU-Africa will cover the test fee costs. Please note that this policy is only applicable once; returning applicants will be required to cover their own tests fees.
Is the TOEFL/IELTS test required of all applicants?
The TOEFL/IELTS test is required of all applicants whose native language is not English. Native language is defined as first language, or language spoken from birth. The TOEFL/IELTS is not required if the applicant will have graduated from a university in the U.S.A, U.K. or Canada by the time of enrollment, or if the applicant is a CMU student or alum.
Can I submit an IELTS score instead of a TOEFL?
You may take either the TOEFL or IELTS test. While there are no minimum requirements, most of our students score more than 90 in TOEFL and 6.5 in IELTS.
What is the minimum GRE, and GPA required for admission?
While there are no "cut-offs" for the GRE and GPA, most of our students scored above 300 for the GRE and have graduated with 2nd class honors and above. Both the GRE and GPA are evaluated in the context of your entire application package.
Can I make updates to my application after it has been submitted?
- For ECE, limited sections of the online application will remain open. Applicants are still able to update their resume, test scores, and upload unofficial transcripts after the application has been submitted. Simply log into your application to upload a new document. Applicants can also make changes to their Letters of Recommendations. After logging in, you can send a reminder, request new, and exclude letters.
- For MSIT, you cannot access your application again once it has been submitted. You will receive a link to limited sections of the online application if important information is missing or for you to upload your GRE and TOEFL/IELTS test scores and transcripts.
Are all applicants considered for financial aid? Is there a separate financial aid form?
Only admitted applicants of African nationality are considered for financial support for our master’s programs. Financial aid forms are only sent to applicants at the tests stage of the admissions process. Please view our financial aid page for more information.
How much is the application fee?
The is no fee charged when applying to CMU-Africa’s masters programs.
I already have a graduate degree, can I still apply?
Yes, you are welcome to apply. In your statement of purpose, please be prepared to address your reasoning for pursuing an additional graduate degree.
Can I apply for more than one program?
You may apply for both our master’s programs. However, you will have to make a choice between the two if eventually admitted to both. Please note that if your application to one of the programs is unsuccessful, your other application becomes inadmissible.
I do not have a background in ECE or IT. Can I still apply?
Yes, you can apply without a background in either program. Most of our applicants come with a background in engineering or computer science, however we welcome applications from anyone who feels able to handle the rigor of the program. Please review the course requirements for ECE and course requirements for MSIT to make sure you feel comfortable with the material. Please also include any additional information in your Statement of Purpose (related courses, experience, etc).
If I was not admitted, can I reapply?CMU-Africa will keep your information on file. If you are interested in reapplying, please view the Graduate Application Deadlines to monitor the open application periods.
- If your previous application was unsuccessful before reaching the GRE/IELTS/TOEFL test stage, you will be required to request for permission to re-apply and give justification for why your application should be considered by the Admissions Committee.
- If your application was unsuccessful after submission of tests scores, you will be required to cover the cost of taking the tests again and to submit your test scores before the final admission deadline on May 1st .
- If you previously started an application but did not submit it, you will be required to request for permission to re-apply and give justification for why your application should be considered by the Admissions Committee.
If I reapply, do I need to submit new materials?
Your new application will retain some previously entered biographical information. However, other sections, will need to be completed again. You do not need to request ETS to send new official scores if you had requested them with your previous application UNLESS you have retaken and have updated scores.
My question wasn't answered here. Who should I contact?
For MSIT, you may contact our student recruitment team email@example.com.
For MSECE, you may contact the admissions team firstname.lastname@example.org