The Industry Innovation Lab manages a tech skills marketplace to provide world-class tech talent to African startups. This program helps startups hire CMU-Africa students as interns from May through August. Interns may work in person or virtually. CMU-Africa provides co-funding with the start-up to support the intern.
CMU-Africa student skills
CMU-Africa students are enrolled in three different types of master's degree programs:
- Master of Science in Information Technology (MSIT)
- Master of Science in Electrical and Computer Engineering (MSECE)
- Master of Science in Engineering Artificial Intelligence (MSEAI)
- The startup submits an internship proposal through the CMU-Africa Corporate Internship Portal. The proposal should indicate the startup’s tech need which matches the profile of CMU-Africa students.
- CMU-Africa reviews the applications and selects appropriate startups for participation. (Check selection criteria for details.)
- The selected internship opportunities are then posted for CMU-Africa students to apply
- CMU-Africa students apply for these opportunities based on their interests and skills
- The startups interview, select, and “make offers” to successful candidates
- Students work at startups from May through August, working on a mutually agreed upon set of contractual deliverables.
Benefits to the startups
- Access to three months of engineering talent
- Co-funding of intern ($500 USD per month, 75% from CMU-Africa, 25% from the company)
- The opportunity to assess a potential future employee
Selection criteria for startups
- Be registered and operational in Africa
- Have a well-defined tech need matching CMU-Africa’s student profile
- Have a well-defined ICT project that is relevant to our student’s career aspirations and well developed to allow both the student and the startup to grow
- Appoint a dedicated team member to supervise and mentor the intern
- Has been in operation for two to five years, and is able to co-fund 25% of the internship cost, equivalent to $100 USD per month.
- Ready to provide the CMU-Africa intern with a three-month employment contract with a documented scope of work
- Ready to participate in two post-internship program impact tracking surveys
How to apply
All applications must be made through the CMU-Africa Corporate Internship Portal. Please note that CMU-Africa accepts both remote and in-person positions.