Graduate admission frequently asked questions
What are the admission deadlines?
Please refer to the Application Admissions Deadlines.
What do I need to submit for my application to be considered complete?
A complete application consists of the online application, a statement of purpose, CV/Resume, contact details of three referees as well as unofficial transcripts. You can submit TOEFL or IELTS score reports if you have them, but please note that this is optional.
- Statement of Purpose and CV/Resume: You are required to both upload your statement of purpose as a PDF file and enter it directly into the online application portal as text. You should upload your resume file as a pdf file as well.
- References/Recommendation:Once you access the online application, you will be required to enter the names, titles, and email addresses of your three referees. If you are applying to the ECE program your referees will receive a link to the online recommendation form. If you are applying to the MSIT program, the Admissions Committee will get in touch directly with your referees.
- Transcripts:Unofficial transcripts must be uploaded to the online application portal. This is what the Admissions Committee will use for review purposes.
How can I check my application status?
Unfortunately, it is not possible to view the status of your application online. You will receive email communications from the admissions team on the status of your application at every stage. Due to the large number of applications and volume of emails received daily from CMU-Africa applicants, it may not be possible to respond to individual requests for information.
Where do I mail my transcript(s) after I am admitted?
Please wait to mail your transcript until you have been requested to do so. You will be provided with CMU-Africa’s address by our Admissions and Enrollment Services Officer.
Will CMU-Africa pay for my GRE and TOEFL/IELTS tests?
In response to the current COVID-19 pandemic, we will not be accepting GRE scores this year. CMU-Africa will cover competency test fees for first time applicants who submit their applications by the December 15th, 2020 early application deadline.
Please note: CMU-Africa only covers the cost of competency tests once. Returning applicants will be required to take the tests at their own cost.
Is the TOEFL/IELTS test required of all applicants?
Only applicants with undergraduate degrees from the USA, U.K and Canadian universities are exempt from providing English language exam scores with their application.
Can I submit an IELTS score instead of a TOEFL?
You may take either the TOEFL , IELTS or Duolingo English test. While there are no minimum requirements, our admitted students typically score more than 90 on the TOEFL , 6.5 on the IELTS, or 105 on the Duolingo English Test.
If you choose to take the TOEFL or IELTS, please make sure you indicate CMU-Africa as a recipient for your tests scores.
- TOEFL: Carnegie Mellon University in Rwanda - DI Code: 8847
- IELTS: Organization ID: 146301, Name: Carnegie Mellon University Africa
- MSECE applicants, please make sure you send your test results (ETS/IELTS) to CMU as well:
- TOEFL: Carnegie Mellon University - DI Code: 2074
- IELTS: A physical address is required for electronic scores to be sent. Please use the one below:
Carnegie Mellon University College of Engineering
5000 Forbes Avenue
119 Porter Hall
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
What is the minimum GRE, and GPA required for admission?
While there are no “cut-offs” for the GRE and GPA, most of our students scored above 300 for the GRE and have graduated with 2nd class honors and above. Both the GRE and GPA are evaluated in the context of your entire application package.
Can I make updates to my application after it has been submitted?
- ECE: Limited sections of the online application will remain open. Applicants are still able to update their resumé (CV), test scores, and upload unofficial transcripts after the application has been submitted. To edit your application, simply log into your application to upload a new document. Applicants can also make changes to their referees. After logging in, you can send a reminder, request new, and exclude letters.
- MSIT: you cannot access your application once it has been submitted. You will receive a link to limited sections of the online application if important information is missing or for you to upload your TOEFL/IELTS/Duolingo test scores and transcripts.
- Applications will officially be closed on January 15th, 2020. Applicants will not be able to make any changes to their applications after that date. For any other inquiries, please contact our Admissions team: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are all applicants considered for financial aid? Is there a separate financial aid form?
Only admitted applicants of African nationality are eligible for consideration for financial aid. Financial aid forms are sent to applicants at the test stage of the admissions process. Please view our financial aid page for more information.
How much is the application fee?
The is no fee charged when applying to CMU-Africa’s master’s programs.
I already have a graduate degree, can I still apply?
Yes, you are welcome to apply. In your statement of purpose, please be prepared to address your reason for pursuing an additional graduate degree.
Can I apply for more than one program?
No, you may only apply to one program.
I do not have a background in ECE or IT. Can I still apply?
Our programs are tailored for candidates with a strong Computer science/engineering background. Without it, it is very unlikely that you would succeed. If you are really interested in pursuing your career in IT or Engineering, it would be advised that you spend some time working on acquiring the necessary technical competencies and qualifications before you apply.
If I was not admitted, can I reapply?
CMU-Africa will keep your information on file. If you are interested in reapplying, please view the Graduate Application Deadlinesto monitor the open application periods.
- If your previous application was unsuccessful prior to taking the GRE/IELTS/TOEFL competency tests, you will be required to submit a Reapplication Authorization Request. This is a short essay where you explain the different ways you improved your profile since your last application and motivate why your application should be considered by the Admissions Committee. This is only applicable if your previous application was for the MSIT Returning MSECE applicants do not need to submit a Reapplication Authorization Request, you will be required to start a new application.
- If your application was unsuccessful after submission of tests scores, you will be required to retake and submit new IELTS/TOEFL/Duolingo test scores as well as take our in house technical test. CMU-Africa will not cover the cost of IELTS/TOEFL/Duolingo tests for returning applicants. Please note that only applications with valid IELTS/TOEFL/Duolingo test scores will be considered and all test scores should be submitted by January 15, 2021. No application will be accepted beyond the deadline.
- If you previously started an application but did not submit it, you do not need to submit a request for permission to re-apply. You just need to start a new application and make sure you submit it before the deadline to be considered for admission.
If I reapply, do I need to submit new materials?
Your new application will retain some previously entered biographical information. However, other sections will need to be completed again. You do not need to request ETS to send new official scores if you had requested them with your previous application UNLESS you have retaken the tests and have updated scores.
My question wasn’t answered here. Who should I contact?
You may contact our admissions team at email@example.com.