Are you interested in applying to CMU-Africa but have questions about the application process, tuition and financial aid, or our master's degree programs? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frequently asked questions
Updated for fall 2024 application
What are the admission deadlines?
October 1: Applications for all programs open
December 15: Early admission deadline
January 15: Final application deadline
What do I need to submit for my application to be considered complete?
A complete application consists of a filled online application, response to the essay and video questions, CV/Resume, contact details of three referees, and unofficial transcripts. In addition, you can submit Duolingo English Test (DET), TOEFL, or IELTS score reports if you have them; CMU-Africa covers DET test fees for first-time applicants who submitted their applications before the early admission deadline of December 15.
- Essays: You must answer a few questions in an essay format on the online application portal and one video essay.
- CV/Resume: You should upload your resume as a PDF file. The document uploaded should be at most two pages; additional pages will not be considered.
- References/Recommendation: Once you access the online application, you will be required to enter the names, titles, and email addresses of your three referees.
- MSECE: Your referees will receive a link to the online recommendation form. The recommendation must be completed and submitted online.
- MSIT/MSEAI: The Admissions Team will contact your references as needed.
- Transcripts: Unofficial transcripts showing awarded grades to all coursework up to date must be uploaded to the online application portal and the school information entered. All the transcripts must be uploaded as individual files if you have completed multiple degrees. Upon admission, the Admissions Team will require an official hard copy of your transcripts sent by the Registrar of your Undergraduate institution.
First-time user vs. Returning user
- You are considered a first-time user if you are applying to MSIT, MSEAI, or MSECE for the first time. You will be required to create an account and start a new application.
- You are considered a returning user and must log in to continue your previous application if:
- You are a returning MSIT, MSEAI, or MSECE applicant reapplying to the same program.
- You are a returning MSIT, MSEAI, or MSECE applicant applying to a different program.
- You have already created an application this cycle.
What are the English proficiency requirements for admission?
All non-native English speakers must submit at least one valid score report from one of the following examinations: IELTS, TOEFL, or the Duolingo English Test (DET) to fulfill the English proficiency requirement.
Only applicants with undergraduate degrees in residence in the US, UK, or Canada (excluding Quebec) are exempt from providing English language exam scores with their application.
We recommend that students have a minimum of 79 on TOEFL, 6.5 on IELTS, and 120 on DET. Students with lower English proficiency levels might be required to take the Academic Skills course in their first year.
Will you accept the ETS Tests Home Testing?
Do I need to submit my application with TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo English Test (DET) scores?
CMU-Africa will cover DET fees for first-time applicants who submit their applications by the December 15 early application deadline. Returning applicants will be required to take the tests at their own cost.
If you submit your application after the early admission deadline of December 15, you MUST submit the TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo English test scores or indicate a date you plan to take the test.
Can I self-report my TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo English test (DET) scores?
Where should I send the results of my TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo English test (DET) scores?
To submit the TOEFL, IELTS, or DET scores, please use the following information and ensure you send your test scores in time to meet the admissions deadline:
- DET: indicate Carnegie Mellon University Africa as a recipient.
- TOEFL: request ETS to send your scores to Carnegie Mellon University, Institution Code: 2074.
- IELTS: use the information below to send the scores to Carnegie Mellon University.
- Account Name: Carnegie Mellon University
Carnegie Mellon University
College of Engineering
431 Hamerschlag Drive
Ansys Hall Suite 250
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
I submitted my score reports. Have they been received?
- You must submit your test/score information with your application. If you had previously entered a "pending" test into your application, you must log back in and enter the scores and test data.
- You must request the testing center (ETS/Duolingo/IELTS) to send CMU the official scores.
It may take several days for CMU to receive and verify your scores.
Please note that the system may not be able to link scores to an application in which the names are entered differently. If you believe there is a discrepancy between the name in your application and your name in the ETS/Duolingo/IELTS system, please email us at email@example.com, and we will check your scores.
Is the GRE required to complete my application?
Do I need to go through any other assessment?
What is the minimum GPA required for admission?
How much is the application fee?
There is no application fee for the fall 2024 intake application.
How can I check my application status?
Can I update my application after it has been submitted?
Limited sections of the online application will remain open. Applicants can still update their resume (CV) and test scores after applying. To edit your application, simply log into your application to upload a new document.
MS ECE applicants can also make changes to their referees. After logging in, you can send a reminder, request new letters, and exclude letters.
Applications officially close on January 15. Applicants cannot make any changes to their applications after that date.
For any other inquiries regarding your application, please contact our Admissions team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
MS ECE program: One of my recommenders did not receive a request to submit my letter of recommendation. What should I do?
Are all applicants considered for financial aid? Is there a separate financial aid form?
I already have a graduate degree; can I still apply?
I do not have a background in ECE, engineering, or IT. Can I still apply?
Can I apply for more than one program?
Can I pursue a graduate degree on a part-time basis?
Does CMU-Africa admit students to enter in the spring semester?
Where do I mail my transcript(s) after I am admitted?
Can I defer my admission once admitted?
Can I withdraw a submitted application?
If I am not admitted, can I reapply?
Yes, you can apply again for the next application. All that is required is for you to log in as a returning user to continue your application and make sure you submit it before the deadline to be considered for admission.
Your new application will retain some previously entered biographical information. However, some sections, including your program selection, must be completed again. Each section must be reviewed/updated and saved to complete the new cycle application process to ensure you have submitted the most updated information.
You do not need to request ETS to send new official scores if you had requested them with your previous application unless you have retaken the tests and have updated scores.
I have more questions; who can I address them to?