All CMU-Africa students are eligible for need-based financial aid. Our need-based financial aid is awarded to students who can demonstrate financial need for assistance with educational costs. Many of our students are awarded a financial package that covers a substantial fraction of the cost of attendance. Prior to enrollment, all students are given a financial aid award letter to ensure there is a full understanding of their contribution for educational and living expenses.
The figures below are the 2023-2024 academic year estimated cost of attendance for CMU-Africa.
Cost of attendance
All figures are in USD.
|Cost of attendance||
Tuition for academic year 2023-2024
|Estimated annual cost of living||Low range||High range|
|International student visa fee||$20||$20|
|Total for estimated living expenses||$3,620||$5,350|
- Technology fee
- Health insurance
- Campus shuttle service
- Student life activities
Types of financial aid
At CMU-Africa there are various types of need-based financial aid to ensure our education is accessible and affordable to eligible students. The forms of financial aid include:
- Government of Rwanda grant
- Government of Rwanda East African Community Scholarship
- Government of Rwanda loan
- Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program
- Innovators Forward Fellowship Fund
- Mandela Institute for Development Studies (MINDS)
- Smart Africa Scholarship
Wire transfer payment
For wire transfers, please allow a minimum of 10-14 days to process your wire transfer. Carnegie Mellon University is not held responsible for incorrect remittance wire transfers. If you make a mistake with your wire transfer, please contact the company to resolve your issue. Please use the information below to execute a wire transfer to Carnegie Mellon University.
- Bank name: Ecobank Rwanda
- Account name: Carnegie Mellon University
- Account number: 6775003004
- Account currency: USD (United States dollars)
- Swift number: ECOCRWRW
- Student name: first, middle, and last name
- Andrew ID: Student Andrew ID*
*For example, if "firstname.lastname@example.org" is your student email address, for the wire transfer, you will only insert "smith" for your Andrew ID.
Check and cash payments
Carnegie Mellon University Africa does not accept check or cash payments at the Kigali, Rwanda location. You can visit the Ecobank in person and deposit the USD check or cash into the Carnegie Mellon University bank account stated above.
- Step one: Please make your check payable to Carnegie Mellon University. Please insert your full legal name and Andrew ID on the check memo line.
- Step two: Ecobank will provide you an advice slip to confirm receipt of your payment.
- Step three: Please email the advice slip to Reginald Donkor at email@example.com.You can also hand deliver your advice slip to the Financial Office located at C106.