CMU-Africa and the Mastercard Foundation have partnered to support students whose talent and promise exceed their financial resources. The graduate students complete their Master of Science degrees in Information Technology, Electrical and Computer Engineering, or Engineering Artificial Intelligence. Upon completion of the program, the Scholars go on to lead changes in their communities and contribute to meaningful transformation across the continent.
CMU-Africa is part of a global network of 33 Scholars Program partners, comprised of institutions committed to developing Africa’s young leaders.
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program was established at CMU-Africa in 2016. The program provides generous financial, social, and academic support for students whose talent and promise exceed their financial resources. With a vision that education is a catalyst for social and economic change, the program focuses on developing leaders who are transformative, encouraging them to be active contributors in their communities.
The program focuses on:
- Holistic support: The scholarship covers application preparation support, orientation, tuition and fees, health insurance, travel and basic living expenses, project, and entrepreneurship support. Scholars also have access to a range of resources that support their well-being and academic success.
- Career preparation: Scholars benefit from tailored activities to prepare them for the workplace. Throughout their studies, they participate in professional development activities including, but not limited to, internship and career fairs, networking opportunities with industry leaders, one-on-one career coaching that prepare them to pursue their goals upon graduation.
- Leadership development: Scholars develop leadership skills through participation in student clubs, community service, and a variety of programs that equip students to become change-makers. During their time at CMU-Africa, the Scholars take a series of leadership training sessions tailored to their needs to ensure they are equipped with cutting-edge leadership skills that will enable them to lead with distinction.
- Giving back: Scholars live out the give-back ethos of the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program by leading and participating in community service activities, developing, and implementing projects that make a difference in the lives of others. They collaborate with the members of the CMU-Africa community to push their give-back agenda.
Scholars come from economically disadvantaged communities and have demonstrated the following attributes:
- Academic talent: Scholars value learning and have the drive to complete their education.
- Commitment to giving back: Scholars have demonstrated a commitment to improving their communities.
- Potential to lead: Scholars will become role models, mentors, and change-makers.
In order to be considered for the Scholars Program, students must first be admitted to one of CMU-Africa's degree programs. Learn more about tuition and financial aid and how to apply to CMU-Africa.
Hear from our Scholars
Mastercard Foundation Scholars at CMU-Africa have access to leadership training to help develop their skills beyond the classroom. The newest Scholars discuss their experience after the first training session.
CMU-Africa Mastercard Foundation Scholars
Class of 2023
Class of 2022
Class of 2021
Class of 2021 (continued)
Class of 2020
Class of 2019
Class of 2018
A key part of the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at CMU-Africa is leadership development. To this aim, CMU-Africa held a series of workshops to help empower Scholars with the tools to actively learn to identify their personality traits, their leadership, and style of influence.